If you’ve ever had puppy chow, you know what an addicting snack it can be. That’s why, when I saw an idea for a puppy chow cookie I thought, “there’s no way this CAN’T be good.” Peanut butter cookies are delicious on their own, but add a chocolately peanut butter mixture on top and coat with powdered sugar and…oh my goodness.
The recipe I used was not gluten-free, as I was making the treats for family and friends over the holidays, and I wanted the peanut butter cookies to be a little crisper. You can substitute with gluten-free flour blend if you’d like and see how they turn out.
This is also kind of a messy process, as anything with powdered sugar can be. After the cookies bake, I recommend setting up a little station with your powdered sugar ready in a bowl once your chocolate/peanut butter mixture is melted, as well as something to place the cookies on afterwards.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda and powder, and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, cream the butter, peanut butter, and sugars together.
- Add in the egg and vanilla extract and continue to beat until smooth.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture a little at a time.
- Once the dough is fully mixed, use your cookie scooper or form the dough into small balls to place on the cookie sheet. Press the cookies down to be flat on the sheet with your fingers. This makes it easier to coat them when they’re done.
- Place cookies in the oven and bake for about 7-8 minutes or until they look set but not browned on the edges.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool completely for at least an hour or so.
- Prep your puppy chow station – put powdered sugar in a small bowl. Get another small bowl and add the chocolate chips, butter and peanut butter. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between until the chocolate mixture is completely melted but not burned.
- With a knife, spread the chocolate mixture on the top and bottom of the cookies, completely coating them.
- Place the coated cookie in the powdered sugar bowl and turn over several times so that you have a nice layer on both sides. You may have to repeat this step after you let the cookie sit for a few minutes.
- Ta-da! Puppy chow cookies.
Recipe adapted from Cookies & Cups.